25 April 2012

V is for Vilipend

I absolutely hate how some people think so highly of themselves that they vilipend other people when they are actually the ones who need to be vilipended.

Vilipend is an old word meaning to regard as worthless, or to despise, or to disparage mockingly.

I know that I can sometimes point fingers at people for doing things I think are ridiculous, but I don't like to speak bad about the people... I try to keep it about the actions.  I really try.

Unless it is for a good reason, amiright?
I can't stand when students in my class vilipend their classmates, especially when they criticize traits that are genetic and changeable only through some sort of plastic surgery or serious use of bleaching creams that likely do more damage than good.

This bullying really needs to come to an end.  Why does it still have to happen in schools today?  Why has it not decreased with time?  Maybe, part of it is the internet.  We have girls getting on YouTube asking people to critique their appearance.  We have people who post videos of young people getting beat up.

This past weekend, there was a track athlete who was beaten up by a bystander who the athlete had been talking trash about on Facebook.

If you want to vilipend someone, do it for a good reason.

Do it because they are against your right to have a choice about what you do with your body.
Do it because someone does not think that working at home is a job or that women who work outside the home should be paid equal to a man.
Vilipend someone because people who look like you cannot walk into an elevator without another person who does not (or does) look like you cringing and holding their purse closer, do it because a clerk called the manager to say, "Two black men just walked in."
Do it because the higher ups do not count unemployment in a way that is real to show the real number (WAY higher than is reported in the news) of unemployed in the nation.
Do it because you don't want the word 'gay' to be banned from schools.

Vilipend for a reason.

11 comments:

  1. Another great word! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs in April. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm finding some new words through this challenge.

      Delete
  2. Great post!! I'm glad to have found you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I love all the new words I'm learning through the A - Z challenge. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really good ones throughout the lists. I have to figure out how to incorporate them into my vocabulary. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thanks and welcome! There are so many great blogs on the list... I planned on reading them all during the month, but I think it will take way longer than a month to get through them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you on this one. I feel like the way you tell when a person has finally matured is when they understand that life is about cooperation and not competition. And for some, that takes a lifetime.

    I think so many people vilepend because they believe that by putting others down, they elevate themselves. They could't be more wrong. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and for commenting. I agree that people many vilipend because they try and lift their self-esteem... so sad, and so hurtful, but so true.

      Delete
  6. You make so many great points in this post. Some folks just have a bad attitude and no compassion...and some are downright dishonest. It ain't easy trying to figure things out in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only figuring things out with other people was as easy as it is for us to look up information online, right? Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.