08 February 2010

I will be a rock star parent

Despite some occasional fears about my ability to be a good parent, as each day passes and I see/read what other people do with their children, I realize that I will be a rock-star parent when given the chance.

A US soldier is charged with assault after waterboarding his child.  For not reciting the ABCs.

Waterboarding.  A four-year old.

For not saying her letters.

A teacher today told me that she heard of a parent who took her young children to a self-service car wash and sprayed the kids with the water for a punishment. As though she is a cop from the 1950s and 1960s.

What?!

I will be grand at parenting.

I understand that kids can be frustrating at times.  I have seen them in public, I have baby sat them, I teach over 100 of them each semester every school year.

I know I will be at better than these and other people.  Including the pastor who pulled a gun on his kid due to the kids lack of attendance at church.  Or the parent who executed his naked son over an argument.

2 comments:

  1. He waterboardered his child?

    Amazing.

    Now that's the guy who should have had my now 21 year old son.

    I'm only partly kidding; might have made my kid even worse, although that's hard to imagine.

    If and when you do become a parent, you'll probably do fine. Only a very small percent of kids are bonafide hell raisers when they have good, or good enough, parents, and those kids have serious underlying mental health disorders and/or experienced trauma in their early years.

    Are you thinking of starting a family soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kit -- It is a bit comical until you realize that he didn't imagine doing it to his child... he actually did it.

    Not looking to become a parent too soon, though hopefully eventually. I think I will do all right. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.