04 May 2008

What a day!

What a time! We got to the track on Friday and it was sunny and nice. While we practiced it started to mist a bit. Kind of weird since it was still sunny and the rain clouds looked like they were miles away. We did see the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen. It covered the whole sky and was complete -- from one end to the other. We all saw this as a sign of the good things that would happen on Saturday.

Dinner was nice -- got to meet up with Kid Sis #3 since she goes to school in Cape. Back to the hotel. I was super tired and went to bed pretty early, especially since I couldn't get phone service to call my main man.

The next morning every one got up with out me having to make extra wake up calls. Drury Inn has some great hot breakfasts! Even could make fresh waffles.

Everyone made it to the bus by the exact time I requested to the minute. Bus driver starts the bus. Bus driver tries to start the bus again. And again. And again.

The bus was broken.

Fortunately, one of my athlete's boyfriend had just pulled into the lot since he was going to watch her and his best-bud at the meet. He truly was our leprechaun at the end of the rainbow. He took me to the track so I could get to the mandatory coaches' meeting. When I got there a coach who has been a prick for the past two years (but this year is really an awesome guy) let us use their bus to bring the kids to the meet. Ours was towed back to the Lou and another sent down for us.

Everyone made it in time. And the meet began.

The only bad thing was the wind at the beginning and the fact that it took over 3 hours to run the girls high jump.

I was so impressed with the kids. We won seven events. I had a kid step up to take the spot of another athlete with an injured foot. He had never run on a varsity relay, but helped us get first in one and kept us in there to get fourth in the 4x4 (only fourth because he didn't remember to cut in on the second leg so he ran about 420 meters instead of 400).

Thirteen events made it on to the Sectional meet next week. So many personal bests. A lot of top eight finishers.

Great day!! Great kids!! Great performances!! No drama!! And we have more to come in the next two weeks.

And we really don't need a rainbow to bring us luck. We have skills, we have kids who have done the workouts I have given, we have kids and coaches on a mission!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.